The Excavation of an Obelisk from the Campo Marzo

Etching | 25.2 x 35.1cm | c. 1749

Jean Barbault

This obelisk had been unearthed in 1748 when small houses behind Palazzo di Montecitorio were torn down in order to construct a new building for the Augustinian monks of S. Maria del Popolo. The obelisk was found broken into five major pieces.

This ...
read more